Thursday, June 12, 2008

The piggy who will go to market no more.

This toe was nothing but trouble. It was never pretty, and it's toenail was always weird. I didn't much care for it. When Greg's foot was amputated, the big toe developed an ulcer. It was pressure from walking differently. It never healed. It caused problem after problem. In January of this year we went to Rexburg to walk through the new temple. We were sure that his toe would not be damaged anymore because of it, after all, we were walking through a temple! Well, there are many blessings that are not ours and this was one of them. After that trip, the toe was ulcerated through entirely, and infected.

We were debating options, when one morning, Greg said; "Wake up and look at this!" I had just worked a grave, and I don't care to see or hear about anything else that is going wrong. I am at my limit. And then some. I roused myself for his benefit and to our utter astonishment, the toe had amputated itself!! It was hanging on by a piece of skin on the outside edge of his foot. Greg wiggled his foot and the dangling toe wiggled in a way similar to raw chicken. The bone was sticking up in the air. It was not the most pleasant thing to wake up to. It was not pleasant for Greg either. It, of course, hurt like heck. I should have taken a picture. I am sad that I did not think of it. We rushed Greg to the Dr's office and he snipped the last piece of skin and then clipped the bone of with what Greg referred to as "Hedge clippers." As a nice parting gift, they sent the toe home with Greg in a bottle. (Nasty! It sits on our dresser and watches me sleep.) Greg wants to make a pen out of the bone. I don't know. I try not to say anything. Perhaps he needs therapy.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is without a doubt the most amazingly gross thing I have ever seen. And I have seen some amazingly gross things in my life.

Still, well done!

Love,

Handomse Kenley

David and Natalie Reheis said...

Wow! I'm surprised, but I handled that quite well for being pregnant! The story grossed me out more than the pictures! Well I hope all is going better. I love you guys! And I'm glad Greg has a blog!!!